About Dr. Steven Kaufman and Total Vein Care
Dr. Steven Kaufman
Dr. Steven Kaufman was one of the first surgeons in Colorado to perform endovenous ablation. As a board-certified surgeon, he has provided care for patients with vein disease for over 35 years, as part of his surgery practice. He founded Total Vein Care in 2004 and, shortly thereafter, dedicated his efforts exclusively to providing his patients state-of-the-art minimally invasive vein care, utilizing cutting edge technology and a wealth of experience. He is the only surgeon in Northern Colorado whose vein care practice is not a minor offshoot of another specialty. Vein care is all he does. Most of his patients come from Fort Collins, Loveland, and Greeley, but many also travel from Longmont, Boulder, Sterling, and the Eastern Plains. Having practiced surgery in Southeastern Wyoming for 15 years prior to relocating to Fort Collins in 2001, he also serves patients from Cheyenne, Laramie, and other towns as far North as Casper, Wyoming.
In addition to his certification by the American Board of Surgery, he has also been certified by the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine since the Board offered it’s first exam in 2008. He is a member of the American Venous Forum of the American College of Surgeons, as well as the American College of Phlebology, both of whose meetings he regularly attends. Dr. Kaufman also has credentials as a Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) and a Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (RPVI) by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography. His Vascular Lab is accredited by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) for Vascular Testing.
Dr. Kaufman received his B.A. at the University of Colorado Boulder. He then earned a Ph.D. in Genetics from the George Washington University in Washington D.C., while researching cancer viruses in the Laboratory of Tumor Cell Biology at the National Cancer Institute. The laboratory was directed by Dr. Robert Gallo, who played a major role in the discovery and characterization of HIV. Dr. Kaufman then attended medical school at the Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, in Richmond. He served his surgery residency at NYU/Bellevue Medical Center in New York, and at University of North Carolina Hospitals in Chapel Hill.
Dr. Kaufman’s interests outside of his medical practice include the major sports, now as an observer, music appreciation, guitar playing, audio and electronics, and travel.
Press & Awards
Total Vein Care Receives Vascular Testing Accreditation by the IAC: June 01, 2016
Fort Collins-Based Total Vein Care Goes to Next Level in Expertise Accreditation: November 04, 2013
Total Vein Care Receives Vascular Testing Accreditation by the IAC: June 04, 2013
The Arrival of Newborns and Venous Insufficiency: April 02, 2013
Fort Collins Vein Clinic In the Running For Top Accreditation in Vascular Medicine: March 19, 2013
Fort Collins Vein Specialist Celebrates 2,000 Successes: March 05, 2013
Fort Collins General Surgeon Commits to Keeping Preliminary Screenings in 2013 for His Patients Despite Rising Healthcare Costs: February 20, 2013
Fort Collins General Surgeon Continues Education at a National Level: January 22, 2013
Fort Collins Doctor Spotlighted by Morning TV Show: January 15, 2013
Education Leads to Cures: Total Vein Care Reaches Out in 2013: December 18, 2012
Founder of Total Vein Care Continues to Support the Renewal of Health Care: December 11, 2012
Michael Shenk Joins Total Vein Care Team - A Showcase of His Professional Experience and Education; Leading to His Objectives in This New Position: November 15, 2012
Health Insurance Provides Opportunity for Total Vein Care Treatment: November 06, 2012
Venous Insufficiency is Treatable: October 10, 2012
Conferences Dr. Kaufman Has Attended
• American Vein & Lymphatic Society Annual Meeting, November 2020 (Remote)
• Annual Meeting of the American Vein and Lymphatic Society, Phoenix, AZ, Nov 7 - 10, 2019
• American College of Phlebology 31st Annual Congress, November 2nd – 5th, 2017
• 15th International Vein Congress, April 20th – 22nd, 2017
• American Venous Forum 28th Annual Meeting, February 24th -26th, 2016
• David Sumner Venous Summit, February 24th, 2016
• American Venous Forum 27th Annual Meeting, February 25th – 28th, 2015
• David Sumner venous Summit, February 25th, 2015
• American College of Phlebology 28th Annual Congress, November 6th – 14th, 2014
• David Sumner Venous Summit, February 9th, 2014
• American Venous Forum 26th Annual Meeting, February 19th – 22nd, 2014
• Dr. Kaufman Attends World UIP Conference, Boston, MA: October 29, 2013
• Expert Venous Management: A Venous Meeting Not for Everyone, Englewood, New Jersey, June 22-23, 2012.
From Foam to Filters: What’s New in Venous Disease, Duke University School of Medicine and the American College of Phlebology, Durham, North Carolina, February 2-4, 2012.
• American College of Phlebology Comprehensive Sclerotherapy Symposium, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 21, 2011.
International Vein Congress, Endovascular Venous Surgery, Miami Beach, Florida, May 12-14, 2011.
• American Venous Forum, 23rd Annual Meeting, sponsored by the American College of Surgeons, San Diego, California, February 23-26, 2011.
• David S. Sumner Venous Summit, sponsored by the American College of Surgeons, San Diego, California, February 23, 2011.
• Colorado Podiatric Medical Association Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, October 9, 2010. Invited speaker. Presentations were: “Anatomy and Pathophysiology of Chronic Venous Insufficiency; "Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Venous Insufficiency,” and "Treatment of Venous Ulcers.”
• International Vein Congress, Miami, Florida, May 13-15, 2010.
• Advanced Endovenous Ablation of Incompetent Perforators, Fort Collins, Colorado. March 5, 2010. Program presented to visiting physicians by Dr. Kaufman and Angelica Thiel, RVT.
• Northern Colorado Nurse Practitioner’s Coalition Meeting, Fort Collins, Colorado, January 28, 1010. Invited speaker. Presentation was “Got Veins.”
• American College of Phlebology 23rd Annual Congress, Palm Desert, California, November 5-8, 2009.
• International Vein Congress, Miami, Florida, May 7-9, 2009.
• American Venous Forum, 21st Annual Meeting, sponsored by the American College of Surgeons, Phoenix, Arizona, February 11, 2009.